Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Personal Bill of Rights


  • to take care of myself. This is not an act of selfishness. By taking care of me, I am declaring I am enough! I am worthy! I will treat myself just as kindly and thoughtfully as I would anyone else. Just because somebody might be disappointed that I am taking care of me rather than help him or her, that’s his or her choice to feel that way. They will need to learn to adjust and be responsible for themselves.
  • to seek help from others I am comfortable asking help from, even though some may object with my choice. I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength so I will seek answers from those whom I feel are most helpful with whatever my present situation is. 
  • to express all of my feelings. We are emotional beings. It is ok to express them all! This means it's ok to get angry, be depressed and express other difficult feelings occasionally including shame, uncertaintiy, confusion, etc. while also being deliriously happy.
  • to reject any attempts by anyone, including relatives, to manipulate me either directly or indirectly, through guilt and/or depression.
  • to receive consideration, affection, forgiveness and acceptance from my loved ones for what I do, for as long as I offer these qualities in return.
  • to be happy. I will not allow the emotional well-being of others to detract from my own happiness. It feels great to smile!
  • to make mistakes and not have to be perfect. Perfection is an illusion - nothing in the world is perfect. My goal is to be the best me, I can be. I shall find grace in my flaws, for they are beautiful things.
  • to be scared and say that I'm scared. I won't let my fears prevent me from seeking personal growth but only I get to determine what limits me, no one else. If they don't understand them, that's on them, not me.
  • to take pride in what I am accomplishing and to applaud the courage it has sometimes taken to meet the challenges in my life.
  • to choose my own friends and acquaintances as well as how and when to spend time with them. I may justify these choices, but I don’t have to.
  • to give others the responsibility for their own beliefs, decisions, feelings, and thoughts, without feeling guilty, anxious, or selfish. Feeling responsible for other ablebodied adults often burdens me and provides roadblocks to their ability to grow their own self-confidence and self-respect.
  • to be playful and frivolous. Laughter is great medicine to my soul and sometimes it feels great to throw caution to the wind. Don't take life so damned seriously all the time!  Take time to LIVE!
  • to protect my individuality and my right to make a life for myself that will sustain me both monetarily and emotionally.
  • to say "I don't know".  It is a great thing to realize what I know and what I don't. It allows me to seek out answers and to understand that no one knows everything. Those who think they do are really suffering delusions of grandeur and I will not be made to feed into it.
  • to my own needs for personal space and time - without guilt. Sometimes I need to seek solice in the silent inner workings of my inner self. I use this time to figure out myself, commune with nature, and to allow myself time to rest, relax and recharge. Don't take my need for some alone down time personally, if you are uncomfortable with my need for it, that's not my responsibility.  
  • to take all the time I need to evaluate and make important life-decisions. If this stresses others, they are responsible for asserting their needs and I'm responsible for balancing them with mine, if I choose.
  • to be in a non-abusive environment, both physically and emotionally. I never have to remain where anyone feels compelled to make me "less" to their "more". 
  • to change and grow. None of us are who we were 10 years, 10 months, 10 weeks, 10 days, 10 hours or even 10 minutes ago. Our experiences help influence and define us. Embrace the change!! It is the one constant in the world. 
  • to be treated with respect and dignity.  It is ok to stand up for myself and demand that someone treat me the way I treat them and to walk away from anyone who does not do so. They don't have to understand nor agree with my needs or wants but they must respect my choices. 
  • to be heard and clearly understood. My thoughts, feelings, wants, needs, dreams, and dignity are as valid, worthy, and important as anyone else’s. I don't have to use specific words nor have to explain myself in a specific way. 
  • to have my physical, emotional, and spiritual privacy and boundaries respected by others. I accept my responsibility to respect theirs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment