Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Lifestyle Changes: Comparing Ourselves to Others


We often see people for the person they show us, not necessarily the person they are.  We don't know someone's story because we aren't in their heads! Their lives have made them who they are just as mine has made me who I am. When we start comparing ourselves, we begin to struggle because we are comparing ourselves to the person they show to the general public, not necessarily who they are in their private life.  They may struggle with depression, have a physical ailment we can't see (BTDT), have an abusive spouse, want kids but can't or any other number of items. We seriously don't know. You might think you do but you can't hear all the internal crap they are saying to themselves which influences them.


So I recently caught myself falling back into old habits. There is a group of 30-something ladies who invite each other to their latest fad diets and exercises.  I started feeling pangs of jealousy because I'm not invited. Then it hit me!  Stop comparing myself to them!  I don't know their story and they certainly don't know mine. I don't need someone else to make me value myself!

I passively listen to them talk each day then cringe at the restrictions of food they have all implemented for themselves. I want to make healthier choices for myself but I don't want to make a list of things I'm forever forbidden to ever have. That sounds insane to me! I want my life to be about balance.  If I want something, I want to be able to have some without all the guilt from eating something "I shouldn't have had". This doesn't mean I'll eat an entire bag of chips, box of crackers, or a tub of ice cream but if I want a handful of chips with my sandwich, some crackers with my soup and a few bites of sweet dessert, then I'm going to have it.  

Part of restoring myself is making lifestyle changes that will affect positive changes in my life that I want to see. I'm not into the quick fix. I want sustainable items. I want to do things that make my life better and make my soul sing. 


Yes, I'll have to remind myself that I'm enough just as I am and to stop measuring the success of my life compared to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment