Monday, January 5, 2015

It's all in the PREP

My daughter and I realized that we really wanted to eat healthier, not to mention the fact that I ended 2014 with some stomach issues.  Eating out seems to be an issue for me. I've learned that my stomach doesn't seem to have adverse affects with home-cooked meals like it seems to with restaurant foods. Plus I get to control what's in my meals better.

I realized we spend a ton of money every year at restaurants. I work long days and at the end of them the last thing I really want to do is cook.  So like many, we began to fall into the trap of going through the drive-thru for the quick meal.

This is killing my stomach as well as our health. We discussed this for the past few months and we have determined that for 2015, we are giving up all drive-thru burgers, fries, etc!!  It sooo needs to happen.

I used to prep meals for the week and/or do frozen meals for a month.  Now that I'm down to only one at home, I no longer have need or access to my old deep freezer but that doesn't mean we can't prep our meals.

It will help when I'm too tired to cook. We can simply grab a meal out of the fridge, heat it up and voila! dinner is served!

To begin this process, I thawed out some boneless skinless chicken breast.  I lightly dusted them with flour and seasonings before pan cooking them in a skillet.  While these were cooking, I prepped a huge filet of salmon by breaking it down into smaller portions. Mmmm, we both love salmon!  I like to marinate mine with some fresh lemon juice, lemon slices, lemon zest, some seasonings and a little olive oil. While the filets marinated, I prepped fresh green beans for steaming as well as some fresh asparagus. I prepared some small red new potatoes which I oven roasted with some onions. I also made some Parmesan couscous. Once everything was cooked, the assembly began!


We are all set for the week!!  The top container has chicken breast cooked to add to salads, soups, etc. so we can add some more variety if needed.

How do you prep for the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment